Bed bugs survive by sucking the blood of humans, including from your scalp. It is completely itchy and uncomfortable. This is why we have to get rid of bed bugs in your hair as fast as possible in effective ways.
To kill bed bugs in your hair, we can use some useful stuff such as a lice comb, steam or hot water, essential oil, and permethrin lotion for humans. Those things are effective and efficient to deal with bed bugs in your hair.
Use a lice comb
One of the easiest ways to do and ensure safety for humans to eradicate bed bugs is by using a lice comb. It is effective for getting rid of bed bugs in hair and scalp because it can even catch smaller pests such as lice.
On another side, bed bugs do not lay eggs in the hair. So the use of a lice comb is completely sufficient to remove bed bugs in the hair. Well, here is how to get rid of bed bugs in your hair using a lice comb.
- Trim the hair using a regular comb and make sure the hair is not tangled and limp to make the cleaning process easier using the lice comb.
- Then, divide the hair into several sections to make it easier for you when combing hair, and make sure all parts of the hair have been combed well.
- Start combing your hair from the front to the back.
- Make sure all parts of the hair have been combed to avoid bed bugs left in the hair.
- Clean the comb and collect all the bed bugs in a plastic bag so you can kill them easily.
Cleaning bed bugs in the hair using a lice comb is effective for removing all bed bugs in your hair. In this case, do the treatment carefully and slowly. So, you can get all bed bugs in your hair.
Read other guides fully at How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Use steam or hot water
Based on the research that has been done, it is proven that bed bugs will die in high temperatures or heat. Bed bugs cannot survive in hot environments because they are naturally more comfortable living in warm or humid environments. However, don’t do it carelessly because it can cause damage to your hair and scalp.
To kill bed bugs, we need at least a heat at 45 °C at 94.8 minutes to kill adult bed bugs which actually still feels warm compared to a sauna or onsen. So, if we can get into a sauna or onsen which is completely much hotter, the time will be reduced.
Steam in sauna
A sauna is typically heated to temperatures between 150°F (65°C) and 195°F (90°C). It depends on the purpose and how long you can stay. There, you can be relaxed while getting rid of bed bugs in your hair.
However, make sure you know the limit of your body because it is completely dangerous to stay there too long. It can lead to dehydration that makes you fatigued and even collapse.
Here, please remember that 45 °C is completely enough to kill the adult bed bugs while you are in a sauna, combing your hair with a lice comb. That is completely effective. Do not stay there too long. Be safe.
Hot water in an onsen or your house
If you love to go to an onsen, it will be the best way to get rid of bed bugs in your hair. An onsen is typically heated to temperatures between 38°C and 50°C. While some of them can reach up to 80°C and 98°C.
However, not all of us live or love to visit an onsen. So, we can prepare our own hot water in our house. Actually, it is completely easy and just like regular things you might have done daily.
- Prepare enough hot water in your basin or bathtub.
- Make sure the water temperature is still safe for contact with your skin.
- If it feels too hot, please add some cold water until it reaches a safe temperature for you.
- Dip your hair in the hot water for up to 3 minutes.
- If you have it, start shampooing your hair as usual and wash it off using warm water.
- Dry your hair (you can blow your hair for maximum results).
- Comb your hair to remove bed bugs in the hair.
It is an effective way you can do it. However, this method may not be suitable for those of you who have sensitive skin. In addition, there is the possibility of damage to the hair due to hot temperatures that are in direct contact with the hair.
Use essential oils
Commonly, people use essential oils to overcome irritation from bed bug bites. But, in this case, essential oils can also be used to kill bed bugs in the hair. Made from plants, essential oils are safe for direct contact with human skin.
The substances contained in essential oil have a toxic effect on bed bugs. Here, each of the essential oils has its own substance to kill bed bugs such as Limonene, Cedrol, Thujopsene, a-cidrene, Thymol, Carvacrol, etc.
Current research shows that essential oils cannot kill bed bugs 100%. Based on this research, research, a blood orange essential oil is the best of the best. The effectiveness is about 66% in killing bed bugs.
On the other side, the use of essential oils for hair treatment is common thing. Research shows that adding particular drops of essential oils can help hair growth and keep them from problems such as itch, dandruff, etc.
So, it is completely easy to do and worth your hair. Here is how to get rid of bed bugs in your hair by using essential oil.
- Make sure your hair is not wet and has been combed neatly.
- Divide your hair into sections to make it easier for you to apply essential oil.
- Start by applying an essential oil to all parts of the hair from the roots to the tips of the hair.
- Wrap your hair using a shower cap and leave it for up to 1 hour.
- Clean the hair using shampoo and conditioner as usual
There, the bed bugs will die cause of the toxicity of the essential oils. In addition, it is highly recommended for those of you who have damaged hair use hair vitamins after performing the steps above. Do this method twice a week to achieve maximum results.
Use permethrin lotion
Permethrin lotion is a safe product that is commonly used as a lice treatment. Well, for your information, permethrin is actually used in a wide range of bed bug treatment products.
So, it is worth using permethrin lotion to get rid of bed bugs in your hair. Here is how to use permethrin lotion for the treatment of bed bugs.
- Wash and shampoo your hair and scalp.
- Rinse your hair and scalp. Use a dry towel.
- Let your hair dry for a few minutes by air.
- Shake your permethrin lotion.
- Wet your hair and scalp thoroughly with the lotion.
- Make sure to cover the back of the neck and behind the ears area.
- Wait for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and scalp. Use a dry and clean towel.
- Wait till your hair is dry and comb your hair with a lice comb.
- Collect all dead bed bugs and eggs in a bag so you can burn them.
Here, you can wash and shampoo your hair and scalp again. It is because sometimes, people will feel uncomfortable. So, washing your hair and scalp thoroughly can reduce uncomfortable sensations.
So, that is all about how to get rid of bed bugs in your hair safely and effectively. If you have any suggestions or tips, feel free to let us know in the comment section below.
Related post: Bed Bugs and Baking Soda: A Myth